Eat. Drink. Listen. Read. Converse.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Weird Grocery Event

I was in Publix today (Atlantic & Military in Delray), along with everyone else within miles, it seemed, and only 3 checkout lanes were open, one being a 10 item or less, which I couldn't use. The other 2 lanes had long lines, so I got into the line that seemed to be moving the fastest, and sure enough, on that score I chose well. As I stood there, watching the cashier ring people up, I noticed that to each customer, before starting to scan groceries, she asked, "Any coupons for me today?" I heard her do this with 3 customers. So, when I was up, and she was getting ready to scan my groceries, I handed her my one coupon. She took the coupon and stared at it as if it were fouled with something vile, and then looked blankly back at me.

So, I said, "You asked the customers ahead of me if they had any coupons, and I have a coupon." She said sort of miffed, "Well, I don't need THIS," as she waved it through the air. "I keep a copy of the circular right here and all I need is the coupon number; I don't need THIS," she repeated.  "Then why do you ask people if they have any coupons?" I asked. "In case they have some OTHER kind of coupons," she replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment