Eat. Drink. Listen. Read. Converse.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

44 Irish Short Stories, edited by Devin A. Garrity


On the short story theme for a moment, I do want to mention this collection that I picked up last Monday at BN at City Place in WPB. I was killing time waiting for my son up there, and spotted this 1955 reprint that contains some real gems at only $10.98, although I'm sure on alibris or someplace, this could be had for less. In any case, it contains some stories I'd never heard of by authors I'd never read. If you like Joyce (especially Dubliners), you should really enjoy some of these. Here are a few of my favorite titles to get you started, in case you want to sit down at the store and try a few out before committing, as I did: Mary Lavin's "The Story of the Widow's Son" (which I was rather ashamed to see, having looked it up on the web is very famous and has according to some posts been a staple of college lit courses--but was new to me); David Hogan's "The Leaping Trout," and Arnold Hill's "Miss Gillespie and the Micks." Oh, and also, "She Went by Gently," by Paul Vincent Carroll and "The Islandman" by Desmond Clarke. These are just lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment