Eat. Drink. Listen. Read. Converse.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Nathan Englander's story in May 17, 2010 New Yorker


Has anyone else read and loved "Free Fruit for Young Widows," Nathan Englander's new story in this week's issue of the The New Yorker? When I first got the magazine a couple of days ago and read the story, I was absolutely taken with it, but was surprised by how much it stuck with me, and how much I kept thinking about it, so I re-read it last night (early morning insomnia) and still really love it.


If you're not familiar with Englander, but you love well-crafted but also beautifully told short stories, then do get a hold of what I believe is his first short story collection entitled, For the Relief of Unbearable Urges. It's a real treasure, and one whose stories I return to and re-read from time to time, in the same way that I've done with Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies over the years. In the meantime, though, read "Free Fruit for Young Widows."


I don't want to ruin the story for anyone even by hinting at one thing about it; I want you to read it like I did, if you can. Just open the magazine and begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment