Eat. Drink. Listen. Read. Converse.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Boca CVS Story

Yesterday my mom happened to be in the vicinity of the CVS at the corner of Powerline and Palmetto Park Road, where she stopped to pick up a pack of cigarettes for my father, and told this story of her time there.

While standing in a long line at the register, she was befriended by a man standing behind her whom she describes as "friendly, distinguished-looking" and "obviously wealthy."  They conversed while inching up toward the register. When her turn at the counter came, she asked the cashier for a pack of Salem cigarettes, and the man said to her, "I wouldn't have been so nice to you if I had known you were buying cigarettes."  Further engaging this fool, she tried to salvage what had been a pleasant exchange by saying that they were not for her. The cashier then chimed in, saying, "But you are an enabler!"

So, is this what it's come to? People who practice habits or buy products that others find objectionable now must expect to be berated by complete strangers?  Even if the disliked action is practiced in private, is perfectly legal, and while unhealthy is not immoral, total strangers believe that it is acceptable not only to object to the activity, but also to withhold kindness from those who do? Is this what has happened? And not only that, but the cashier employed by the business selling the product, the profits from which contribute to her wage and therefore livelihood, also believes that while on the clock, it is appropriate to chastise the customer who is buying that product? What is happening here?

If the cashier had half a brain in her head, she would of course realize that she is more of an enabler than my mother since my mother enables only one smoker, my father, while the cashier--in passing the evil  packs of cigarettes across the counter multiple times per shift--enables hundreds and maybe even thousands of smokers over her months and years of employment. If the cashier truly were opposed to smoking on moral grounds (or any other grounds), she would not consent to work for an enterprise that sells cigarettes. Alas, however, she doesn't care that much, does she? 

And what of the distinguished man in line, who having struck up a conversation with my mom, then informed her that because of the cigarettes, she was no longer worthy of his niceness? He evidently considers his small-talk so valuable that it shall not be conferred upon any human who does not conform to his beliefs and ways of living. A briefer way of describing such a person is: a pompous ass.

I bear responsibility for this event, too.  You see, my dad rolls his own, but often makes a tobacco mess at my house in doing so. Since my folks are visiting only for the weekend, I asked if he could leave his can of tobacco and sheaf of papers behind and just bring some pre-rolled cigarettes instead.  I feel really bad about this now, because of the negative experience my mom had at CVS, although in her characteristically charitable and optimistic way she found it funny, and not annoying as I do. Next visit, I'll welcome the Bugler or Top tobacco mess, break out the vacuum and not say a word about it.

Though I'm not a big CVS shopper anyway, I can now cross this store permanently off my list.  After all, I wouldn't want to be an enabler . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment