Eat. Drink. Listen. Read. Converse.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Too Many Cars

An odd thing that I've noticed upon moving to Delray is that in my neighborhood people seem to collect cars. I don't mean vintage cars or anything, but rather that when they get a new car, they do not seem to get rid of the old one. My neighbor across the street has 5 cars, only 2 of which are driven.  One is under a tarpaulin, and another sits unmoved next to it, a third is parked in the driveway of the vacant house next door, and the remaining 2 are driven--one everyday, and the other maybe just a few times a month.  One of my next door neighbors, a single guy, has at least 3 vehicles in his driveway--2 trucks and a car, and other people in the neighborhood seem to store cars in various states of repair and disrepair, depending, in backyards, driveways, front yards--anywhere. Not every house is like this, of course, but many are.  I wonder why this happens.  What is gained by having so many cars, especially if they are rarely or never used?  This is a Delray mystery for me to watch unfold and possibly, down the road, (intentional pun--sorry) reveal itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment